- Condominium/Homeowners Association Law
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D. Cum Laude, 1994)
- University of Illinois (B.A., 1982)
- 1994 State of Illinois
- 1995 U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- 1998 U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
James P. Arrigo concentrates his practice in Condominium and Common Interest Community Association law and litigation. He works with association boards and their managers to recognize and address legal issues before they become problems, drafts and amends governing instruments and represents associations in all types of cases, including collecting common expenses to appeals. Jim is a presenter at numerous association-related seminars, conferences and in-house programs for clients and has been an author and contributor to association-related publications.
- Association of Condominium Townhouse and Homeowner Association – July 27, 2017 (ACTHA Education Seminar) Presentation: Up In Smoke: Dealing With Air Nuisances
- Association of Condominium, Townhouse and Homeowners Associations -September 24, 2016 (ACTHA South Expo) Presentation: Collecting Assessments: Money Matters
- Association of Condominium, Townhouse and Homeowners Associations –April 18, 2015 (ACTHA Spring Conference) Panel Presentation: Breach of Fiduciary Duty- Until it Happens to You
- Association of Condominium, Townhouse and Homeowners Associations –September, 2015 (ACTHA South Expo) FCC/OTARD Regulations (Satellite Dishes and Antennas) for Associations
- Association of Condominium, Townhouse and Homeowners Associations –June 11, 2013 Oak Park, IL, Presentation: Collections and Foreclosures – Issues for Associations
- Romeoville, IL, September 15, 2016 In-House Management Presentation: Navigating Electronic Notice and Voting
- Palos Heights, IL, March 15, 2016 In-House Manager/Board-member Presentation: Board Basics for Associations
- Community Association Institute Illinois 2019 Legal Forum, April 12, 2019, Glen Ellyn, IL, Presentation: Association Governance After P.A. 99-0567: What Every Board Member Needs to Know About Palm II
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Community Association Institute
News and Events
10 Common Mistakes Boards Make
Most directors on condominium and homeowner’s association boards are volunteers, and most also have little or no experience in running an association — which is, after all, a not-for-profit corporation subject to a variety of statutes in addition to its own governing instruments.
Ask An Attorney
Reader question: I live in a condo and my neighbor downstairs from me is constantly smoking. I brought it to the attention of management and nothing has been done. What are my options as an owner: do I bring legal action against the management or do I take legal action against the neighbor where the cigarette smoking is coming from?
Honor Flight Inspires Firm Attorney
I recently had the privilege of accompanying my father, Ralph Arrigo, a Korean War veteran of the Air Force’s 6147. Maintenance & Supply Squadron (nicknamed the “Mosquito Squadron”), on an Honor Flight from West Lafayette, Indiana to Washington, D.C.