Advancing Your Institutional Mission
We advise colleges and universities on regulatory compliance, litigation and labor and employment matters, enabling them to focus on their core mission: education. Our services include:
- General Counsel Services: Our attorneys have served as in-house and outside general counsel to both public and private institutions. We understand firsthand the unique challenges institutions face in this increasingly complex regulatory environment.
- Investigations & Litigation: We represent institutions in connection with internal investigations, government inquiries and litigation.
- Regulatory Compliance: We offer in-depth reviews of client policies, procedures and practices to ensure compliance with federal, state and accreditation requirements.
- Student Affairs: We guide clients on fulfilling their obligations with respect to disability accommodations, civil rights, the Clery Act, FERPA, Title IX, and student code of conduct issues.
- Title IV Financial Aid Eligibility: We counsel clients on compliance with their program participation agreements, reporting and disclosure requirements and responding to adverse program review findings.
- Labor & Employment: We defend institutions against employment claims and counsel them on best labor and employment practices.
Higher Education News and Events
On July 17, 2018, the US Department of Education issued a cybersecurity alert for institutions using certain versions of the Ellucian Banner system.
The 2016 Borrower Defense To Repayment Regulations (the “BDR Regulations”) were published in November 2016, but implementation was stayed until 2018.
Last week, a federal district court sitting in Georgia upheld the decision of regional accreditor, The Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges, to revoke accreditation of The Paine College, a historically black college in Augusta, Georgia. Paine had been accredited by The Southern Association for nearly 100 years.