- Corporate Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Internal Investigations
- Criminal Investigations and Defense
- Indiana University School of Law (J.D., 2011) cum laude
- Wabash College (B.A., 2007) magna cum laude
- 2018 State of Illinois
- 2011 State of Indiana
John comes to Rathje Woodward LLC with a wide range of litigation experience. John initially launched his legal career as a Deputy Attorney General for the Indiana Attorney General’s Office, where he oversaw white-collar investigations and public corruption cases. He later gained substantial trial experience as a major felony Deputy Prosecutor in the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office in Indianapolis, Indiana. He was specifically a member of the “Strike Team,” which targeted “guns, drugs, and gangs” throughout the Indianapolis area. His background as a deputy prosecutor allows him to provide experienced criminal defense as part of his practice, which can provide added value to clients under investigation.
John returned to civil litigation a few years ago, focusing his practice on corporate litigation and investigations. While John’s practice focuses on the defense of corporations, his experience and background lend themselves to the defense of individuals from claims or investigations against them. Not only has he brought successful actions on behalf of clients following investigations, he has defended clients from numerous plaintiffs and governmental agencies in various courts and arbitration forums across the nation.
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Phi Alpha Delta Fraternity
- 2018 United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- 2018 United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- 2018 United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- 2011 United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- 2011 United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- 2020 United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Represents incarcerated individuals with claims under the Civil Right Act, 42 U.S.C. Section 1983, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Coordinated and directed multiple internal investigations on behalf of clients into potential frauds by employees and directors. Such clients included a private college, condo association, and private mortgage company.
- Defended various law firms against legal malpractice and fraud claims, as well as regulatory investigations, in courts and arbitration forums across the country.
- Oversaw the defense of claims relating to an automobile accident with actual damages over $25 million.