- Appellate Law
- Juris Doctor, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, summa cum laude, Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society, Lead Articles Editor, Loyola Law Journal
- Graduate study, University of Pennsylvania, 1989, Modern European History
- Bachelor of Arts, Northwestern University, 1988, with honors, History
- Wisconsin Supreme Court -2005
- Illinois Supreme Court – 1994
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- United States District Courts, Eastern & Western Districts of Wisconsin, and various other District Courts
Douglas M. Poland joined the firm of Rathje Woodward LLC when he opened its Madison, Wisconsin office in November of 2015. Doug has first-chair trial experience in state and federal courts in Wisconsin, and has significant experience at the trial and appellate court levels in class action, mass tort and other commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts in Wisconsin, Illinois, California, Colorado, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington. Doug’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, with emphasis on toxic tort, product liability, environmental, consumer fraud, breach of contract, and shareholder disputes. Doug also frequently counsels clients on regulatory and pre-litigation issues. Doug is a plenary member of the Health Physics Society and has participated in the defense of eight class-action and mass-action lawsuits brought against the operators of nuclear facilities for alleged physical injuries and property damage caused by environmental and occupational exposures to hazardous materials. He also is a member of the DRI Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee and the Product Liability Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation. Doug has also been quoted numerous times in various journals and magazines such as: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Law 360, BizTimes, The Wisconsin Law Journal, Health Physics News, DRI Newsletter, and InBusiness Magazine.
While in law school, Doug served as an extern to the Hon. Ilana Diamond Rovner when she was a judge on the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Before joining the Firm, Doug was a partner in the Litigation Practice Group at the Chicago office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP and a shareholder in the Madison office of Godfrey & Kahn, S.C.
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”) class-action litigation
- Maynard v. Abbott Laboratories
- Estate of Koopmeiners v. Sarah Gumm, et al.
- Heparin Products Liability Lawsuits
- Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company, et al. v. Paper Machine Converting Company, et al.
- In re Engine Horsepower Litigation MDL.
- Richardson v. R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.
- Tomberlin v. Adolph Coors, et al.
- Frances Young v. Eli Lilly, et al.
- State of Wisconsin v. Philip Morris, et al.
- Adkins v. Chevron Corporation, et al.
- Smead, et al. v. Chr. Hansen Inc., et al.
- June, et al. v. Union Carbide Corp., et al.
- Cook, et al. v. Rockwell Int’l Corp.
- Thomas v. Mallett
- In re U.S. Department of Energy (High Level Waste Repository).
- Whitford, et al. v. Nichol, et al.
- Baldus, et al. v. Brennan, et al.
- Global Proppant Supply v. Shadowland Holdings, et al.
- Schneider v. Schneider, et al.
- Materials Development Supply Company v. Wildcat Companies II
- Greenwood Fuels, et al. v. Baycor Fiber Products, et al.
- General Motors dealership litigation.
- American Bar Association Defense Research Institute (DRI)Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Dane County Bar Association
- DRI Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee – Member and Program Chair of Annual Seminars (2010-2011)
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation – Product Liability Committee Member
- Downtown Madison, Inc. – Vice Chair Board of Directors; Vice Chair, Executive Committee; Chair, Transportation and Parking Committee; Chair, Ad Hoc Inclusiveness Committee
- James E. Doyle Inn of Court – Member, Programming Committee
- John Knox Presbytery – Presbytery Council, Chair (2015-16); Ruling Elder Member (2011-2016); and Chair, Technology Committee
- Covenant Presbyterian Church – Ruling Elder and Chair, Technology Committee
- Monroe Street Fine Arts Center – President, Board of Directors (2012-2015)
- City of Madison South Capitol District Planning Committee – Member (2013-2014)
- Vilas Neighborhood Association – Member of Edgewood/ Neighborhood Liaison Committee
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Environmental, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation, 2010 – present)
- Recognized as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer (2012 – present)