- Labor and Employment
- University of Illinois at Chicago – John Marshall Law School (J.D., 2020)
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Training Academy (Certified Illinois Peace Officer, 2013)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.S., 2012)
- 2021 State of Illinois
- 2021 U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Daniel J. Szczesny concentrates his practice in the areas of litigation, labor and employment law.
Prior to joining Rathje Woodward LLC, Dan served as an award-winning municipal police officer in suburban Chicagoland. During his time as an officer, Dan was twice recognized as Police Officer of the Year by both his Police Department and his Department’s Fraternal Order of Police Lodge. Dan was also featured in “Beyond the Boardroom,” a nationally publicized article in Beta Theta Pi Magazine, for his leadership and public service contributions. While an officer, Dan served as Union President leading two collective bargaining negotiations and representing union members interests before management in various matters. In 2019, he was recognized as an Outstanding Young Alumni by the University of Illinois College of Agriculture, Consumer and Environmental Sciences Alumni Association.
During law school, Dan represented military veterans pro bono while working in the John Marshall Law School Veterans Legal Clinic. Dan successfully represented service members of the Vietnam War in their appeals from the denial of benefits. Dan also externed for the Honorable Judge John F. Kness of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. At law school, Dan mastered his advocacy skills by serving on the Moot Court Honors Council, winning Best Respondent Oralist in the interscholastic Herzog Moot Court Competition, and winning Best Closing Argument in the Phi Alpha Delta Mock Trial Competition.
Dan is an active community member through his various philanthropic and volunteer endeavors. These efforts have included raising over $10,000 for the Avon Walk Chicago in 2013, donating thousands of dollars to local not-for-profits during his tenure as an executive board member of the River Forest Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #46, and serving as an appointed member of the Illinois Impaired Driving Task Force.
- John Reid Interrogation Method – Advanced Certification
- Illinois Impaired Driving Task Force (2019-Present)
- River Forest Police Pension Board (2019)
- River Forest Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #46, Executive Board
- Lodge President (2018-2019)
- Lodge Secretary (2016-2018)
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- University of Illinois College of Agriculture, Consumer and Environmental Sciences Alumni Association -Outstanding Young Alumni (2019)
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving – HERO Award (2018)
- River Forest Police Department – Officer of the Year (2016 and 2017)
- River Forest Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 46 – Officer of the Year (2016 and 2017)
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Kane County Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Knights of Columbus Police Council #12173
- Polish American Police Association
- Communications Director (2021-Present)
- Summer Extern – Honorable Judge John F. Kness of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2020)
- Spring Extern – Honorable Judge Aurelia M. Puncinski of the Illinois Appellate Court, First District (2017)
News & Resources About Dan Szczesney
“It’s a fine line inserting yourself to accomplish your investigation while being compassionate.”